Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Beginning....

So, after all of these years, it looks like I am finally going to fix my sketchy knee. It all started about 20 years ago, when I broke my leg and tore my ACL while snow skiing. At the time, they elected not to do surgery because of my age - but warned me that eventually I would need to have it done if I stayed active.

Fast forward 20 years - I'm 35, and thankfully very active! Over the years I have been able to work around my injury and stayed active in many ways - dance, yoga, aerial training, even pole dancing. But over the past couple of months, it's started to give way. There isn't a lot of pain, but it has become quite unstable - slipping out of joint and such. That is the most nauseating feeling ever - and after consulting with my husband and physical therapist, have decided to move forward. I've put it off for years mainly out of not wanting the downtime - but if I take out another ligament with it, it could be even worse.

I saw my new orthopedic surgeon last week - he pulled my leg in every direction imaginable, and confirmed that my ACL is, indeed, toast. I'm getting an MRI tomorrow to see if there is anything else in there that needs repair, and then will meet with him on 4/4 to talk about the results and what options there are. But he did confirm that surgery would be involved - eek!

I will try to post tomorrow about the MRI - the idea of being in a tube doesn't make me super happy, because I am sure I will have to pee at some point since I won't be able to move. In the meantime, my personal game plan is to be as active as possible and be as strong as I can so I will heal faster. Don't know what my doctor would think of that, but it sounds like a good plan for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment