Friday, December 23, 2011

Long overdue update!

It has been forever since I posted! Let's see - lots to catch up on. Last week I celebrated 8 months since my ACLr. Sometimes it feels like it's been forever, other times it feels like yesterday. I am continuing to build strength and can tell that my hamstring strength is improving, which I am really happy about. There is still a difference in the 2 legs, although it's not too obvious by looking. I also have to keep in mind that my surgery leg was weaker to begin with as I favored the other leg for so long prior to my surgery. My inner thigh above my knee is a little mushy - I don't want to look like I have a fat knee forever. Sigh! 

I have also decided to push my return to aerial back, indefinitely. I may not go back at all. This was a very difficult decision for me, but the right one for a couple reasons. The torque on a knee when you are hanging upside down by it- thinking about it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach at this point. Another piece is that honestly, I am really happy with my recovery and my activity level until I start berating myself about why I haven't gone back yet. It will be a long time before I have that level of trust in my body and my abilities - and if I don't have that, I am putting myself in danger if I go back. The cherry on top was that a dear friend of mine that I train with passed out while she was upside down, 18 feet in the air. She broke her neck and is recovering from a spinal fusion and disk removal. It's just not worth the risk anymore to me - right now anyways. So I am trying to blend my aerial cravings and dance into pole dancing! It's a lot closer to the ground and a fun way to continue to get stronger. And get a LOT of bruises. 

I've been traveling a lot for work so keeping active has been key for me! I went a few days last week without running or biking and regretted it - it was so stiff and achy. I am also getting some really nice new pops on the lateral side of my knee - that area has been really tight. I am working on sitting cross legged again and doing pigeon pose from yoga. The sounds that it makes are pretty spectacular. I am still a dreadful runner but I keep trying! I ran my first 5k the first week of November, and did it in under 35 minutes. I will not win any awards, but I ran almost the whole time and was really proud of my progress. My ultimate goal is to do a 10k, but honestly I don't see that happening anytime soon so I will keep knocking out 2-3 mile runs a few times a week. 


I was also officially discharged from physical therapy! It was a little sad. I have been there 48 times this year! 48 whole hours, not counting the endless hours that I did (and continue to do) at home. I have a lot to be grateful for! I am sure I will go back to tune ups - I can't say enough good things about the benefits of sticking to a consistent PT program. It has really helped me.


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment